Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Where were we??

Hey fellow page nibblers, how's your summer reading coming along? I must admit in the mad rush to finish up my job I totally lost track of what our agreed reading schedule was or even who picks next.

What are you guys reading now?

Here is what I've picked up and what I am recommending for whenever my pick happens to be... The Gursney Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I'm about half way through it right now and am finding it to be an absolutely delightful book.

It starts off giving the impression it would be a quick easy read, just a bit of whimsy between some of the more serious fare I had been slogging through. But as I read on I found there are moment of real substance and things that gave me pause to ponder along with plenty of chuckles and one or two outright belly laughs.

Have any of you read this one? I'd love to talk to you about this book!

4 comments:

  1. I have heard so much good about this book, and even tried a few months ago to track it down via public libraries without luck. Apparently it doesn't exist in S.E. Idaho. Guess I'll have to break down and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finished the book - I REALLY like a lot of it. It has made me a lot more curious about the Channel Islands, and given me some haunting glimpses into what people endure during war time. On a 1-5 scale I'd rank it somewhere between 3.5 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure where we are at with books. My guess is that we haven't picked one for July. Maybe Aug? I am currently reading The Time Travelers Wife.

    ReplyDelete