Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Lone Survivor

I first heard of this book about a year and a half ago when I heard the author(s) and main character on NPR. After hearing of Marcus' (the lone survivor) story I ran out and purchased the book. From there I loaned the book out as I didn't have time to read. Needless to say I was eager to pick up this book up and read it in two days.

In all honesty I wasn't a fan of how the book was written however, that does not effect the emotions that I was thrown into as I read. I seethed with rage, my heart pounded with fear, my toes curled with the intensity of the story, my eyes teared with sadness, and I had tears of joy.

Most of my seething had to do with the media and how Marcus' reinforced what I already knew. It made me want to write letters in complete anger telling the media how little respect I have for their "non-biased" reporting.

The media made an impact on the four Navy SEALs decision making process that was so pivotal it could have saved ALL of their lives. The four SEALs ran into three goat headers in the mountains who insisted that they were not Taliban.

"The military decision was clear: these guys could not leave there alive".

If the goat herders were released they could compromise their mission if they talked. After the SEALs debated and voted. They decided that they would let the goat herders go which was "military suicide". The reason? Because of the American media.

"When they find the bodies, the Taliban leaders will sing to the Afghan media. The Media in the U.S.A. will latch on to it and write stuff about the brutish U.S. Armed Forces. Very shortly after that, we'll (the SEALs) be charged with murder. The murder of innocent unarmed Afghan farmers."

The SEALs released the goat herders who ran straight for the hills. Thus begins the Taliban hunt for the four Navy SEALs.

". . .if the liberal media and political community cannot accept that sometimes the wrong people get killed in war, then I can only suggest they first grow up and then serve a short stint up in the Hindu Kush. They probably would not survive."

Overall I thought this book was a good and at times intense read. I have come away with an even greater appreciation for our military and an even greater love for our country.

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing the intense training the Navy Seals go through. A few years ago I met a fellow who said he had been a navy seal. I knew that was something special, but if I had read this book first I would been more impressed and congratulated him.

    I had much of the same reaction as you've mentioned.
    A different thing I experienced was the language used. I seldom read books that have so many "four letter" words and worse. So that bothered me a little, but then I reminded myself that that is how most military guys talk. And, having grown up in a home with a sailor I shouldn't have been so sensitive to this. I got so I tried to just gloss over or skip those words. When I told my husband this, he just laughed and said I was "cute".
    Whatever, I truly enjoyed the book and breezed through it. It definitely gives you more appreciation for our militay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed that I, too, loved this book. It sat on my counter for about a week because it "looked" boring. I know...shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that, but I really do.

    Once I got started I couldn't stop. It WAS intense, but so heroic and worth the time. It made me feel so patriotic I could have screamed! Instead, I just cried.

    I'm so glad I read it - it is something I NEVER would have considered without the rest of you prodding me ever-so gently.

    ReplyDelete